Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm still here!

Hi everyone
I'm still here and have been coming on daily but I haven't had anything to write about!
Everything is going great...besides the fact that soup no longer fills me up and I just want to eat anything and everything
I called up the surgeon's office today, because my post-op appointment won't be until the 6th of September (24 days post op). I wanted to ask whether eating mushies now (10 days post op instead of 14 days) would hurt the band
They kept insisting that I should eat anything I can get through the straw up until I go in and see the surgeon. However, the dietitian said I only need to do liquids for 2 weeks.
I am seriously getting hungry now. And I would rather be full on a bit of canned tuna or mashed vegies, instead of having a huge of bloody soup!

Arrgghh I need help...
actually I need someone to tell me that eating mushies 10 days post op is safe and not bad for the band

I have not had any problems at all with liquids going down, and I can drink a whole cup of juice or milk in one sitting. Surely this means my stomach is ready for soft foods!

4 comments:

alycejo said...

So I said stuff it and had some scrambled eggs
So good!
I made two eggs and a dash of milk
I couldn't even get through half of it!

Nikki P said...

Hi Alyce,
My Doc and dietition told me to switch to mushies 10 days post op, so I am sure you will be fine with having some soft food. Start off slow. Scrambled eggs is good. Really yummy if you mix in some mashed avocado and a little grated cheese.
I was told not to get tinned tuna but to buy the smooth tuna spread, found near the jams and stuff. Lovely mixed with a little cottage cheese (one with gherkin in it).
Main thing to remember is not to eat more than half a cup 3 times a day. I measured my food out at the start and it really helped. I would recommend this. I was told that half a cup would be about one egg so I am not surprised you could not get through two :) Also a little runny porridge in the morning will keep you going for hours.
Hope this helps. Probably still best if you have at least one protein shake a day also make with milk to increase feeling of fullness and extra protein.
Hope this helps
x

Sandy said...

I started purees at day 7 but they were more mushies-like mashed potatoes, very fine chopped chicken salad (with mayo), porridge and chunkier soups. At day 13 I started on mushies but they were similar to the pureed stuff, but I added meatloaf and ground meats. I know it is hard. They don't want you stretching the pouch so eat just a little (maybe 1/4 cup) every few hours at first.

Pamela E. Williams said...

I started purees at day 7 as well. My doc said I could have soft foods. If you want I have this wonderful recipe that I got from Eggface for Baked Ricotta. Oh my how delish it was!!!

Post a Comment